11 March 2005

Trying something new

Life is meant to be dynamic. At times this means getting out and trying something new. I've been doing a couple of new things lately. One is starting this blog. We'll see how it goes :) The other new thing I've tried recently is stitching blackwork. For those who don't know, blackwork is traditionally stitched with black thread (hence the name) and uses a double running stitch. The back tends to look like the front (almost reversible). When I first started the piece I'm working on, I started in the center like I usually do. And then I got lost. Because the double running stitch skips spaces that get filled in later, when the first stitches are put in it looks like this:
-- -- -- -- -- --
Not too bad on a straight line, but it can get confusing when going around curves. After a little practice, I began to find my way and found myself really enjoying the technique. The design I'm working on has turned out fairly fast to stitch and the blackwork can be used to create interesting effects.

I'm working hard to get this blackwork piece and another design done soon. I'm exhibiting at the Destination: Dallas trade show in 3 weeks and counting, so the stitching needs to be wrapped up in a hurry!

After Dallas is the Online Needlework Show, and then I will be able to relax a bit (and work on more designs) until August!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home