29 August 2005

East side, West side...

It is very important which side of the hurricane you're on.

Various members of the family live in South Louisiana; luckily in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans, so I've been keeping a somewhat close eye on Hurricane Katrina. It became a much closer eye Saturday, when I found out it was making an apparent beeline for New Orleans. DH had just had LASIK (and has recovered nicely), so all the parental units were checking in on him. My father had been planning on flying out of New Orleans Monday to visit my brother and his family in Germany, and so mentioned the troubles he was having getting his flight changed when he called. I suggested getting his flight changed to depart out of Houston if he ever got any customer service response, come over a day early and get west of the storm.

Apparently no one at the airline customer service was authorized to make a decision about changing flights originating out of New Orleans, even though Katrina was bearing down on the city by late Saturday. My father, being resourceful and having a grandchild to see, checked out the airline's website and found the names of the executives. He then searched for the phone numbers of those executives. They were unlisted, but a company advertised that he could purchase the number for a measly $7.95. He did and called the number. The number was correct for the airline executive; the executive was at home! Thirty minutes later someone called my father back and rerouted his flight through Houston.

So between the LASIK patient, watching Katrina, and getting the air traveller on his way, it was quite a weekend. Everyone else is battened down at home. The phone lines are busy, but the news reports seem to indicate that damage isn't too bad, so I'm trying not to worry.


On the stitching front, I finished another ribbon colorway last night. I hope to post a picture of all eight ribbons stitched up soon. I almost feel like I could stitch the design in my sleep now. I'm also getting very close to the color fiddling stage for the dragon welcome. Sometimes that's hard, and sometimes it is easy to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home