05 December 2005

Making Christmas

Presents wrapped - Zero. Presents mailed - Zero. Christmas cards addressed - Zero. Seems I might be falling behind. The tree is still up, and the cat hasn't tried to climb it. I don't know if this new tree just doesn't seem as climbable, or if since it is in another room, she's not doing it for the attention. The Christmas photo fest is mostly complete. DH and I found old pictures of ourselves (and siblings) at Christmas to hang up in the room with the tree. Reprints of these will also make good gifts. This meant a massive matte-board cutting marathon for me last night though. Tonight I hope to use some of the scraps to make my stitching into ornaments. Ok, maybe tonight and tomorrow night as some ironing also needs to occur. The stockings have been hung, which reminds me, I need to start thinking of what is going to go in them this year. Something healthier than our usual mega-supply of candy, as we've been on a health kick most of the year (and feeling much better for it). Well, most of the Christmas stuff will get done. Mailings will probably be a little bit late (especially for my brother, who is in Germany, but he will understand). My biggest hope is to avoid the crush at the mall as much as possible! Yay internet shopping!

In stitching news - DH asked me last night, "Don't you have any Christmas stuff stitched?" Well, I did, but it wasn't finished off. One ornament from a JCS magazine, I think from 2000, and a Mill Hill beading kit (I think it was Mill Hill - it had alot of beads). He then commented, but these aren't your designs (isn't that sweet). No, but I'm working on it, at least in my head. And there are those ornaments I hinted at earlier.... I did actually start Mirabilia's big Christmas design with the "fa la la's" across the bottom (I don't remember the name), which I've have kitted for about 3 years and was one of the few designs I kitted up without starting right away. However, I don't know when I'll finish it, since it has been set to the side while I work on new releases of my own, which are, of course, much more important. :) Thjs new one is coming along very nicely, if I do say so myself. So far, very simple to stitch. The background will be a bit more interesting, with a couple of specialty stitches and threads. Ok, enough teasing for now, I'm just really enjoying it. I'll probably be able to put out more of a description in January.

All of this design teasing leads me to another design issue - walking the fine line of generating interest and the potential of having a "design idea" used before you can get a pattern published, or a similar pattern comes out after you've already published. I'm not saying it happens, or that it happens deliberately, but there is always the potential. We see it happening in Hollywood after all, witness the summer that there were two Meteor-hitting-the-Earth-distaster movies. Each movie was very different, and was in all likelyhood developed independently, but they both end up in the marketplace and dilute the pool of people interested in that kind of movie. Hence my "teaser" format until I'm close to release. The good news is that February is fast approaching!

I did work on my ad for th Needlework Retailer magazine this weekend. That's a magazine that goes out to all the Needlework stores around the country. This will be the first time I've run an ad, and it will be published about a month before the Nashville market, so I'm very excited about it. Unfortunately, it is a bit of a catch-22 situation because none of the new designs are ready, so they can't go in the ad! Oh, well. I'll just have to see how it goes and put the new designs in the next ad.

Oh, I almost forgot - there's a new addition to the blog: the Cross Eyed Kat Stitchers Frapper Map. The link is on the right, and I encourage anyone who has stitched a Cross Eyed Kat design, who owns a Cross Eyed Kat design, or who likes a Cross Eyed Kat designs (and therefore might stitch one in the future), to click on the link and add yourself to the map. It is fun and easy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Cats are sneaky! She's waiting for you to add the ornaments before she climbs it. I just found your blog and designs today. The Picasso cat is now on my Christmas wish list.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home