08 November 2005

Where has the week gone?

I don't know where last week went, but I'd better write something before this one disappears as well. Stitching last week was fun - both stitch nights were well attended. I am almost finished with the Dr. Seuss design, which means I really have to get something else out of my head an onto paper, otherwise, who knows what I will end up stitching on. I have several small-to-medium sized ideas that I think could be done before Nashville and several large ideas that need more time to work themselves out. I also need to get several ornaments finished up, and I bought a bunch of fabric to make a Cross Eyed Kat quilt/banner, so that project needs to start soon as well. Of course, the mathematics of figuring out what size squares to make the blocks of the Cross Eyed Kat maximizing the use of the fabric available can be a bit boggling. Which brings me to my next topic.

This week, at the day job, I've had to look at a lot of hexadecimal data (if you don't know what hexadecimal data is, well the short of it is, it is number system that is base 16 instead of base 10 and is very handy in computer where 8 bits can be represented by one hexadecimal number). So anyway, all this data has me totally geeking out, so here are the top A ways you know you're a totally geeked out cross-stitch designer:
A. You've honestly thought about doing a calculus-based cross-stitch design
9. When the call goes out for Beta testers of the design software, you hesitate simply because of the number of items you might find (and the retesting involved)
8. If challenged, you could count to 10 in base 10, 2, 8, or 16 very quickly (any other base would be possible, but slower).
7. You know the answer to the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything
6. You've read graffiti on the walls in HBO's "Rome" series (Ok, not computer related, but I'm a bit of a literary geek, too).
5. You suddenly realize you wrote your first computer program over twenty years ago, and no, it wasn't on a punch card, and yes, I'm only 30.
4. You've thought about mapping algorithms in relation to planning shortest-path routes while stitching a single color in a Teresa Wentzler design.
3. You know of at least three flaws in your cable box's DVR firmware (besides lacking the cool TiVo sound effects).
2. Yes, all of the geometry formulas on your cross-stitch designs are mathematically correct.
1. You look at OFF on and oscillator and wonder why it has 255 marked on it with a leading zero for a full minute before realizing that is the off position.

The weekend was fairly busy as well. Went to the movies Friday (saw Jarhead). Did mundane things on Saturday like get tires replaced and oil changed on the car. Sunday, DH and I, along with some other friends did the Tour de Doughnut bicycle ride. I only did 28 miles, while DH did 55. Here I am waiting for the start:
My trusty helmet Turtle is almost cut out of the picture - it shows that I'm slow, but steady! This was the first bike ride I've done that was timed. Every rider on the 28 mile circuit was competing for a prize and the fastest riders would get a prize. Five minutes was counted off of your time for every doughnut you ate at the rest stops. I could only eat one doughnut. Also, the lines were long at the first rest stop, so I had a really impressive finishing time of about 2 hours, or 216th place (pre-doughnut calculations). It was fun, although warm, since it felt more like April than November, but we enjoyed the conditions. I saw some beautiful dewy spiderwebs that might look neat as a cross-stitch design... :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

LOL love the helmet ! Brilliant :) Dew spiderwebs as a cross-stitch design... hmmm very interesting thought. (says moi who is scared of spiders ! )

Hope you had enough tylenol to get you through a week of hexadecimal data. Ugh. Love the list though - :)

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. http://www.voice-over-ip-solution-7.info/Lucky-numbers-keno.html

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home