19 October 2005

A finish!

Ta Da! I'm finally done stitching all the different colorways! The pink one left of center it the cover model for my "Ribbons" design. The other ones are all of the other colorways that are printed on the chart. Once I have it washed (to get the incidental cat hair off the fabric) and then stretched, I'll put a better picture on my website, but I wanted to show off my finish for now. Each one was pretty fast to do - probably about a week from start to finish if I didn't have much else going on. The problem is, I usually have other things going on!

The online show went well, I thought. I think I picked up a bunch of new shops. At least one in Alaska! And some reorders from existing clients. A couple of odd orders, ones and twos, which I presume are special orders from stitchers looking at the show. Whatever works, you know.

RIght now, I feel like I'm trying to tackle two different stitching questions. One is how do I get (mostly) traditional shop-owners to buy my slightly non-traditional designs? The other is how do I help the industry expand the base of stitchers (i.e. how do we make cross-stitching as trendy as knitting is)? I'll puzzle on that one 'til my puzzler is sore.

Meanwhile, I've got a ravenous husband to feed and game 6 of the NLCS to watch.

Go Astros!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Bet you loved that game !

The ribbons look great. I now see clearly the versatility of that design. Wow !

As I've said on numerous occasions to anyone who'll listen... designs like yours and others that are unique are what will bring a broader base of stitchers. For example, a male interest. If not in stitching, than in their wives/SO's stitching. Lynne Nicoletti was the only designer that apealed to my SO until he saw your designs. Now he'd love for me to "get off my hiney" and get about 4 of yours done, framed and hung on our walls. It's the uniqueness of them that will draw in a wide spectrum of people.

As for getting shops to buy your designs... I've had friends who own shops who I tried to get thinking outside the box, to bring in non-LK or Paula Vaughan type designs. Some of their problems were that without a model of that type of design it was hard to sell. Trunk shows help with that, I'd imagine. And others simply were so strapped for cash in this industry (typical I'd imagine, particularly here in Canada I know), that they couldn't afford to bring in unique designs without a guarantee that they'd sell. I don't know what the solution is. But I desparately wish more stores would think outside the box and widen their horizon on designs. I think ultimately it would go a long way to making their businesses more profitable.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is pretty impressive. Well done on the ribbons.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home