04 October 2005

The way the cookie crumbles

My how time flies. I manage to get my newsletter updated on my website, but then I neglet the blog. Luckily, the newsletter is only once a month. Other than updating the website, I have been busy trying to finalize some new designs. I have one ready to go (almost) - it just needs an overdyed thread picked out for it. Then pack it up, and ship it to the model stitcher! Of course, when I get to this stage, and I'm testing colors for a new design, my fingers just itch to start stitching it myself! But then I'd have less time for designing!

Now I'm working on a new design, and it has several elements, one of which is a fortune cookie. I'm debating as to whether or not to show the cookie as broken or not. So I'm letting my intrepid readers (of which I know I have at least one) have a say - I'm not saying its the final say on whether the cookie will be crumbled, but I'm interested in opinions. So here's the whole cookie:


And here's the broken cookie:


Of course, you have to imagine the cookie as a small piece of a larger design with the fortune from the fortune cookie being a predominate element of the design.

So why the big press with all the new design discussion? Because the time it actually takes to get something into production once the design is done is actually 4-5 months. So everything I'm working on right now is targeted for the big tradeshow in Nashville. And any designs I don't wrap up soon, won't make it into Nashville. I'm still trying to get the hang of design to production times, and my creative juices seem to all come at once, so that I have a great glut of new designs. I hope to have a bunch for Nashville, then several follow-ons throughout the year next year. I'd also like to try submitting to several magazines next year, as long as I make time for that as well.

Ok, back to the drawing board with me! And don't forget to write a comment on which cookie you like!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

hmmm tough question. I like both.

Lets see.. if the cookie is already open, then obviously you'd be able to read the message - and therefore if the topic of the design is the message in the cookie, it'd need to be open to read it...

Alternatively you might be able to more clearly see that it is a fortune cookie (for those unfamiliar with fortune cookies, if that's remotely possible) as a whole cookie. And that is a great rendition of a fortune cookie !

The opened cookie also adds a sharper dimension to the picture, which could be moved around a bit if it fits into the design better - i.e. moving the two pieces apart, or more diagonally to each other. So perhaps more versatility from a design standpoint ?

On the other hand the full cookie is smooth, and might help the rest of the design flow.

Now isn't that helpful ? You've definitely peaked my interest ! :) (and made me crave Chinese food while you're at it. LOL)

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kat,

I agree that the opened cookie makes design sense, or else, how would you be able to read the fortune. That said, not knowing the dimensions of the design, maybe you could use both?

Charlie

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the whole cookie better. The shape is more representative as to know it's a fortune cookie. Ann.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home