04 August 2006

In the beginning

Ok, so this isn't tomorrow, it is the day after that. What can I say? Sometimes life happens. Honestly, I do think about writing daily, but then I read other blogs, and the day just slips by. On the other hand, some days, I also get annoyed when there are no new entries in all the blogs I have bookmarked and the morning drags out (damn you Whil Wheaton, aren't you back from Vegas yet?). Also, there was much sadness this morning when I found out that You Knit What? is shutting down. I only just discovered it this week! And I've already read all the archives! Now, I will just have Stuff on my Cat to keep me amused on a daily basis (yes, the SomC daily calendar has already made it to my Amazon wish list).

Anyway, the story (or maybe just the beginning of the story as this is a Friday afternoon): In the beginning, there was handsewing. I don't really remember how old I was when my mother taught me to sew by hand, but this is when I learned the basics: how to thread a needle, knot the end of the thread, basic up and down stitching, how to sew on a button and a snap. We made clothes out of fabric scraps for my stuffed animals. I was not a doll-type girl, I was a stuffed-animal type girl. So my teddy bear got little shirts, pants and the like. Mom had lots of fabric scraps because she occasionally made clothes for herself and for my brother and I. She also made wonderful Halloween costumes for my brother and I.

So that was the beginning of the sewing. There were many other crafts in the house, as required for school projects and Girl Scouts. However, another critical juncture was probably the entry of plastic canvas into my world. I don't remember how or exactly when it happened, but it was probably sometime between 3rd and 5th grade. I do remember doing many bright projects, making magnets, and generally learning to follow a pattern. There was some accumulation of yarn and a kid's fishing-tackle box converted to a yarn box. From plastic canvas came a mystical progression to cross stitch. I think this was somehow due to proximity of the two craft in the aisle at Michael's. I would guess that this happened sometime in 6th or 7th grade. I don't remember my first project, but I remember my first really big kit. It was a long, bellpull like thing with a bunch of airplanes on it. I think I begged my Mom to get it so that I could do it for my brother, who was in college at the time. I remember working really hard on it, even working on it at school. I did start too close to the top, though. I did finish it in time for his college graduation, but it was never finished into anything. I think I still have it. I think I entered a slight stash aquisition phase at this time because I remember contemplating making bookcovers with cross stitch cloth. Come to think of it, I think I did do one with an embroidered candle in 8th grade, but it was muslin, not aida.

Coming next week: I design my first patterns, the crochet phase, and real stash acquisition begins.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Too many crafts, so little time! lol

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home