06 March 2006

Weeds weeds weeds!

It is definitely spring here - and starting to get hot! The tulips are all a-bloom (pictures to come soon, I promise). I needed to replace some azaleas that had kicked the bucket last year (it was a hot, dry summer), so off I went Saturday to Home Depot for some new plants. I got the right kind of azaleas, and some color plants for our patio pots. I also went by another nursery and got some snapdragons, poppys (yay - a perennial!), alyssa for the patio pots, and some bluebonnet seeds. Sunday before lunch, I was good and dug up the dead azaleas and got all the new plants planted. In the course of doing this, I notice that the weeds were starting to make a resurgence in the backyard. Only one week after being severly beat down by the yard guys, too! After lunch, I dutifully took myself to the backyard, trowel and bag in hand and started to attack weeds. The more I dug the more I saw. Everywhere I looked there just seemed to be more weeds. Now, most of them were little, so they were just sprouting. You also have to understand that this is Texas, and our yard is Texas-sized, so there is just lots of space to do the weeding! Anyway, after a while, I had to say enough - I'm just going to dig up all the thistles and be happy with that for this week. And now, I'll be happy if I never see another thistle again (and you'll probably never see a thistle design from me).

I did get some stitching in this weekend. It feels like it has been forever since I've really stitched! The border is coming along on the dolphin design, but I did take a break to do the back stitching. While not completely done (and back stitching is not my favorite part of any design), it is so amazing to see how it makes the design really pop out and come alive.

By special request, I'm working on alternatives to the hardanger corners in the Ancient World Samplers. A Greek one is done, I should be adding it to the website soon. These additions will be available on the website for people who've already purchased the design and included in future publications of the design.

For everyone still suffering (like my brother) in snow and cold weather, just think that my blooming flowers are being balanced out by the weeds. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Tulips blooming ? I have azaleas blooming... on my fireplace mantle. But in a garden ? I'm so jealous !!!!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Abi said...

You're so lucky. We *still* have some snow in our yard. Hopefully they will melt away tomorrow and I'm praying that I don't see snow again until the end of the year. But then again, I live in Buffalo. hehe

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home