19 April 2007

Crash!

And that is the sound of thousands of needleworkers bringing an online wholesale show to the ground in a rush to register for...doorprizes. Yes, if you've tried to access the Needlework show that I talked about yesterday in the past 12 hours or so, you've probably had trouble. Apparently, many people rushed through the virtual open doors, and due to the new doorprize registration procedure, the servers got flooded with lots of requests, and thus the hosting servers believed they were under attack (which they sort of were, it just wasn't inherently malicious), and so the whole thing came apart. So the show is closed until it can be brought up again is a way that will stay up, but the good news is that because the show is virtual, it will go on! Yay!

So why was there a rush? Well, a bunch of vendors got together in a virtual way and thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if people could register for a doorprize in my booth? That way, only people who actually like my designs would receive my doorprizes." Which sounds all fine and dandy, and the show code was changed so that visitors had to register on each vendors page for a doorprize, if one was offered. Except that the vendors forgot about the "Lure of the Free" and that people were apparently registering for doorprizes on every page without actually looking at what the vendor was offering - essentially dropping their names in the bucket and then running to the next virtual booth. So the system broke down and doorprizes have been suspended for now.

I find it ironic since the IRS/turbotax servers apparently also backed up with all of the people filing electronically at the last minute.

In other news, the canvas kitty cat is complete! Say that three times fast! Now to paint another one. Shops have to see the painted canvas to see how well your painting skills are - lines have to be straight, that sort of thing. I'm stitching on my other model and hoping to work on some other projects soon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right after my first trip to Italy I discovered "When In Rome". It was a perfect commemoration of my visit to the Coliseum!
I really enjoyed stitching it and have it hanging with completed designs from many of my husband's and my travels which surround a map with DMC (a different color for each trip) strung from push-pin to push-pin to show our route. The large, framed US map has been joined by smaller maps of Hawaii, Alaska and now Europe with DMC strings across the "oceans" between the map frames.
I'm always on the lookout for designs when we travel and I was so glad to have found that one. Now to get to Egypt!!!

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this one: CEK-018 Labyrinth. The big garden labyrinths have always facinated me; I'd like to visit a real one someday. ~Valerie Kalyani

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home